Translate

Jan 7, 2015

why I started

So I decided to start a blog.
 The main reason why I decided to do so was because there's so little information/advice/help about bilingual autistic children.
There's also no place where mothers, or fathers, or family members, can discuss about their decision, or struggle, in raising an autistic bilingual child.
My son was diagnosed in the end of last year and a few weeks after I was invited to a parent session to understand and learn a little about what autism is.
In the middle of it one of the parents approaches and ask me whats my first language, and when i reply by saying its portuguese he asked me how could i do that, how could we communicate and how was our child coping with two languages...
I've gotta say I've not thought about how bilinguism could affect him or not, because, for me, bilinguism was not a an option, and it's still like that, turning him into monolinguistic have crossed my mind, but that would be egoism, would be Reject a part of who my son is, it would be the same as rejecting autism, they're both parts of him, how could someone be so selfish in thinking in not educate their child with their families mother language? People will already make him feel different by defining him about his autism, how would he feel in a family meeting? Both their parents are portuguese, and many family members don't speak english, and the ones that do, some of them speak a little bad english, and if we already have to speak to an autistic child in short clear sentences, how clear a non fluent person can be to him?
And how about he couldn't have a relation ship with the family that speaks littlr or few english, because i know how frustrating can it be to try and communicate with little language, even worse try to build a relationship with someone.
I know I didn't got to a point, but it took me around five hours to be able to write this. And I do want to know I'm not alone, we are not alone.
And that's why I started...

07/01/2015
By Jo, the Autismother


Portanto, decidi criar um blog.
A principal razão pela qual decidi fazê-lo foi por haver tão pouca informação, ajuda ou aconselhamento acerca de crianças bilingues dentro do espectro do autismo.
Não há um sitio onde se possa discutir acerca da nossa decisão, ou luta, de criar uma criança autista bilingue.
O meu filho foi diagnosticado no ultimo trimestre do ano passado e pouco tempo depois fomos convidados a participar do primeiro treino para pais para perceber um pouco acerca do autismo. Durante a sessão fui abordada por um dos pais, questionando-me qual era a nossa língua materna, ao ouvir a resposta perguntou-me como eu lidava com isso, como o meu filho lidava com isso, e se ele conseguia comunicar em ambas as línguas.
Devo dizer que não tinha ate então pensado no facto de que ser bilingue o pudesse ou não afectar, ate porque, para mim, ser bilingue nunca foi uma opção, e continua a não ser. Tornar o meu filho monolinguista já me passou pela cabeça anteriormente, mas, sempre achei que fazê-lo seria algo bastante egoísta da minha parte, seria rejeitar ma parte de quem ele e, seria o mesmo que rejeitar o autismo no meu filho, ambos são e fazem parte dele, como poderia eu ser tão egoísta em não educar o meu filho na língua materna de ambas as partes da sua família?
 As pessoas já o vão fazer sentir diferente ao o definirem como autista, e não como autismo sendo apenas uma parte da sua personalidade, imaginem como ele se sentiria numa reunião de família? Ambos os pais e família são portugueses, alguns membros nem inglês falam, e dos que falam alguns não o fazem correctamente, se já temos de falar com uma criança no espectro do autismo em frases curtas e claras, quão clara pode uma pessoa não fluente em inglês ser para ele?
E acerca do facto de ele nunca ter uma relação com a família que pouco ou nada fala de inglês?
Ate porque eu sei o quão frustrante pode ser tentar comunicar com muito pouca linguagem, construir uma relação então nem se fala.
Eu sei que mal cheguei a um ponto com tanta conversa, mas, estive perto de cinco horas para escrever este texto.
Sei que não estou sozinha nesta luta, nenhum de nos a travar esta luta esta só.
E pronto, esta foi a razão pela qual comecei a escrever este blog...


No comments:

Post a Comment